The Cigar Media Association is pleased to announce the 1st Cigar Industry Awards. With the establishment of the Cigar Media Association in 2014, the 14 members involved in the association wanted to create an award ceremony where they could honor and celebrate the companies and individuals in the cigar industry. This marks the first time a collaborative effort among various brands of the cigar media have come together for such a process.
As this is the first year, the 14 members have created three categories, but they plan to add more categories in the coming years. There are so many wonderful individuals and companies in the industry, that it is only appropriate that more categories be added over time to honor them. As this is the first year though, there are three categories and those categories are:
- Cigar of the Year: Our first category, Cigar of the Year, was an easy and practical category to come up with. Everyone always talks about Cigar of the Year, but we wanted to have 14 members come together to decide what cigar is truly Cigar of the Year. To quality was simple, the cigar needed to be released in the 2014 year and nominated by a Cigar Media Association member. Each member was asked to nominate five cigars for this category, and that left the association with a maximum of 70 cigars to vote on. Of course, multiple members votes on similar cigars, so it was easy to determine which cigars led the pack. From there, we took the five cigars with the highest votes and submitted them back to the members where there will be a final vote. The winner of Cigar of the Year will be announced January 16th, 2015.
- Brand of the Year: Our second category, Brand of the Year, was a category that was created to recognize all brands on the market. This was a category that did not look at a specific cigar and that cigar’s accomplishments that year, but rather looked at a brand as a whole and how well received it was that year and the impact it had. In some ways, this is the big picture award, but at the same time, does not take into account a brand new release. You can look at a company that re-branded itself, a company that re-blended some past releases, or nothing at all. This company could go to that brand that did not have a huge victory, but a lot of subtle ones throughout the year. Like Cigar of the Year, we asked all the members to think of the five brands that the biggest impact on the cigar industry that year. From there, we took the five brands with the highest votes and submitted them back to members for a final vote. Like Cigar of the Year, the winner of Brand of the Year will be announced January 16th, 2015.
- Online Media Member of the Year: Our third and final category, Online Media Member of the Year, was a category that was created to recognize the media site that delivered terrific content throughout the year. This award is given to the media member who best exemplifies what the Cigar Media Association is about, and provides the industry with a reliable and enjoyable source of content. This is an award given to the member that constantly delivered content to his or her readers throughout the year. All members of the association in good standings were able to qualify for the award, and each member was asked to vote for three members for the award. Once we had the three with the highest votes, we submitted them back for members for a final vote. The Online Media Member of the Year will be announced January 16th, 2015.
Nominees for Cigar of the Year:
- Espinosa Laranja Reserva
- Herrera Esteli Norteño
- Illusione Fume D’Amour
- Las Calaveras by Crowned Heads
- La Flor Dominicana 1994
- La Palina Goldie Laguito Especial
- Padrón Family Reserve No. 50 Natural
- Quesada 40th Anniversary Corona Clasica
Nominees for Brand of the Year:
- Crowned Heads
- Drew Estate
- Warped Cigars
Nominees for Online Media Member of the Year:
The Cigar Media Association has elected Jonathan David of Toasted Foot, Eric Guttormson of Cigar Dojo, and Aaron Loomis of Blind Man’s Puff to its Board of Directors. The three join Seth Geise of Seth’s Humidor and William Cooper for the 2014-15 Board of Directors. Current board member Logan Lawler will be stepping down. The changes are effective immediately. The election of these three will now put in place a full Board of Directors and better position the association to roll out initiatives.
In a statement by Cigar Media Association President William Cooper, “I am thrilled to serve along side Jon, Eric, and Aaron. I have gotten to know all three personally and have the highest respect for their journalistic practices. In addition, they understand the challenges of media in the cigar industry and all three have the ability to ‘think out of the box’. Most importantly, they are great people. Now that we have a full board of directors in place, we will be in a better position to roll out some new initiatives. Finally, I’d like to thank Logan Lawler for his time and commitment. Logan played a critical role in the launch of the Cigar Media Association. Although Logan is coming off the board, he will continue to be an active member of the CMA and help us with some of the programs we have planned.”
The Cigar Media Association was founded in March 2014 with the goal of strengthening the relationship with the cigar industry and the media brands that cover it. Since its inception, the group has grown to 17 members.
This morning a group of online media members announced the establishment of the Cigar Media Association, Inc. The association was established and incorporated in December of 2013, and documents of the association were drafted by the seven founding members. There are currently five members who have submitted the application and been accepted, and those members are A Cigar Smoker, Cigar Coop, Cigar Federation, The Cigarmy and Seth’s Humidor. The Cigar Media Association would like to thank Reagan Starner of R&R Cigars for the assistance and guidance that he provided in establishing a relationship with the IPCPR. As a member of the Executive Committee for IPCPR, Dave Garofalo had nothing but positive comments on the Cigar Media Association knowing this is a step in the right direction for cigar media. We thank you for your cooperation in this and if you have any question about the association do not hesitate in asking.
Cigar Media AssociationMore important than this press release, we would like to invite members of online media to join the Cigar Media Association, Inc. There are so many online media members that have been wonderful member of the online media for the cigar industry for years, and know they will be a wonderful addition to this newly established association. There are many goals of this association, but one of the more important ones is to strengthen the relationship that online media has with the industry, and in return help us be better at what we love to do.
The Cigar Media Association is committed to providing a strong working relationship between new media and the IPCPR. We are committed to working with manufacturers and other members of the industry to provide an outlet to easily disseminate accurate press information to credentialed members of the cigar media. The Cigar Media Association is also committed as a whole to fostering collaboration among its members to strengthen everyone as a whole in this industry.
Right now there are four manufacturers of all different calibers working with us and supporting us in our mission to strength the Cigar Media Association, and we know that you can help us in achieving the association’s goals. We know that the Cigar Media Association will help you in return, and while we all as members of the cigar media have different goals and roads to get there, the CMA will most definitely help us all on our paths. Right now there are two open positions on the board of directors as well, and if you are interested in being on the board, please let us know.
If you are interested, please do not hesitate in contacting myself and I will send the required application and governing documents of the association. We appreciate the time you took in reading this announcement and please do not hesitate to contact Seth Geise, CMA Secretary via email at Seth@SethsHumidor.com